“…serve one another with whatever gift each of you have received.” 1 Peter 4:10
It’s not our job to self-judge the value of our gifts and abilities. They’re all important because they are gifts from the Holy Spirit. In fact, research* into the evangelistic activities of Southern Baptist churches confirms the blessings associated with a broad range of outreach and evangelistic activities. Here are some examples shown to contribute significantly to the growth of a church congregation.
- Stationing greeters at the entrance to the church
- Sunday school outreach, recruitment, and enrollment
- Ongoing contact with visitors to invite them to participate in church activities
- Evangelism training
Other findings related to church growth include:
- High ratio of Sunday school members to resident members
- Hours the pastor spends counseling members
- Tendency for church members to favor innovation over tradition
- Welcoming response to visitors by the congregation
- Distance to the nearest Southern Baptist Church
Christians are called to be active in outreach and service in our community. Let’s take stock of our God-given gifts and how we might use them to grow the body of Christ at Bent Creek Baptist Church.
*Hadaway CK. Is Evangelistic Activity Related to Church Growth? Available online.